Monday, January 6, 2014

Pulitzer, Carnegie and Caldecott - Oh My!

There are a number of literary awards given each year, so how do you stay on top of this  information? With the NoveList database, you can easily find award winning and notable books by award name or genre.

To get started, first go to Research from the library’s homepage. Then, choose Literature and scroll down to find NoveList Plus. On the right side of the NoveList home page, you will find a list of resources.  Award Winners is the first choice listed under Professional Resources. The most common awards are listed first; organized by materials for adults, teens and children.  You can view all award winning and notable book lists by clicking the link at the bottom of this page.  Lists are sortable by award name or by genre.

Since I am an avid horror reader, I wanted to locate great books in that genre. After navigating to the awards page, I selected “horror” from the genre list on the right side of the screen. Fortunately for me, there are 18 lists of award winning horror titles.  Not only was I able to read about each award, but I found several titles to sufficiently scare me the rest of the year!

--Stacey L., Reference

No comments:

Post a Comment